In most cases, Shortbread is not known to be sweet. Of course, it is also rare that Cream Cheese is included in the recipe. Shortbread Squares Recipe; Simple and Slightly Sweet Cookie Bar.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure policy can be read here.
Our house is filled with Sugar Cookie and Shortbread Cookie fans. This simple and slightly sweet Shortbread Squares Recipe is made with Cream Cheese and dusted with Powdered Sugar. YUM!
Shortbread Squares Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking pan by placing a piece of parchment paper inside the pan.
- Blend butter and cream cheese in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla then continue to mix until well combined.
- Slowly add flour, 2 1/2 Cups powdered sugar and baking powder while continually mixing.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Spread batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes (or until the center passes the toothpick test).
- Allow the Shortbread to rest for 3-5 minutes in baking pan then remove it with the parchment paper and place it on a cooling rack.
- When it is completely cool; cut the 8×8 cookie bar into squares.
- Dust the tops of the squares with Powdered Sugar.
Go ahead! Give them a try. These simple squares are delicious just the way they are or topped with something sweet. Try Shortbread Squares with a little whipped cream and fruit or spread a layer of Cream Cheese Frosting over the top before you cut them into squares.