During my second or third year of college I met a woman who could work magic in the kitchen. Her kitchen magic was not the hours by scratch type rather her cooking and baking was based more on simplicity which was an absolute inspiration to me. Over the years I have made and sometimes remastered her creations, including this Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake Bar Recipe.
Every time I make this recipe I receive nothing but compliments. It is a favorite of chocolate lovers, caramel cravers and those with egg allergies. Of course, with only five ingredients this recipe is also a favorite of those less of a mess bakers whose desire is to make kitchen magic simply, like myself.
Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake Bar Recipe
1 Box of Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake Mix
3/4 Cup Butter, melted
1 Can Evaporated Milk, divided
1 Bag of Individually Wrapped Caramel Candies, unwrapped
1 Bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9×13 inch cake pan with a coat of non-stick cooking spray. Unwrap caramel candies then set them aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Mix well then pour half of the batter into pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven then sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bottom layer of cake.
- Place unwrapped caramel candies in a microwave safe dish. Add 1/3 cup evaporated milk and microwave for one minute. Stir the melted caramel mixture then return the dish to the microwave, cook for an additional minute then stir. Repeat as needed until all of the caramels are melted.
- Pour the melted caramel over the chocolate chips then top with spoonfuls of the other half of the cake mix.
- Bake for additional 15-18 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool then cut into bars.