Neither one of us prefer the whole public birthday scene so I’ll just say this…
Happy Birthday Baby.
I hope you love the sugary mess (created with your favorites in mind) as much as you love the sugary mess that we call ‘our life’. Here’s to your next trip around the sun!
By my hub’s favorites, I mean Twix and the whole Shortbread Cookie, Carmel (or as he says “caramel”) and Chocolate thing. I skipped on his other candy favorites (Skittles & Reese’s) however our youngest was there to remind me to add SPRINKLES.
Just Like ‘Twix’ Dessert Squares
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 3/4 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Stick Butter (softened)
2 Tablespoons Almond Milk
1 Bag Milk Chocolate Chips
Step One: Create Carmel Sauce or buy Carmel Sauce and skip to step two.
– To make your own; add an unopened can of Condensed Milk in the crock pot, fill the crock pot with water (at least one inch over can, you can lay can on it’s side), then cook on low for 8-10 hours. (I cook mine overnight.) Allow to cool, store in refrigerator; you will need Carmel Sauce for Step Three.
Step Two: Create Shortbread Cookie Crust
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Prepare an 8×8 pan with Parchment Paper leaving a 1 inch over hang, and lightly coat with Cooking Spray.
– In a medium bowl mix Butter, Flour, Sugar, and Almond Milk. Kneed with hands into a dough ball then press evenly into prepared pan. Poke several holes in the dough with a toothpick. Bake at 350* for 25 minutes. Allow cooling time before Step Three.
Step Three: Add Carmel Layer
– Pour the Carmel Sauce on top of the Shortbread Cookie Crust, spread evenly with a spatula. (I spray my spatula with Cooking Spray before smearing.)
– If the Carmel Sauce is warm, allow time for it to cool before Step Four.
Step Four: Chocolate Layer
– In a small sauce pan melt Milk Chocolate Chips over low heat on the stove, stirring frequently.
– Pour melted Chocolate over Carmel Layer.
– If you have a three year old in the house who believes, like his father, that Sprinkles make everything taste better… add Sprinkles before the Chocolate sets.
Step Five: Refrigerate, Set, Cut
– Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until Chocolate has set, pull Parchment paper out of pan and allow it to sit out for a few minutes before cutting dessert into squares using a sharp knife.
And there you have it… my “wanna be” Just Like ‘Twix’ Dessert Squares.